Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Philosophy #1 BIG QUESTIONS!!

For my philosophy of music education class, we have to create blog entries.  For the sake of continuity, I'm going to continue using this format because then I'll be able to compare the changes in my thinking to prior blog entries. 😀

Ten BIG questions I have about music education (that I am somewhat sure cannot be answered empirically):

1. Should music be part of the regular school day?

2. Could music be offered in secondary schools in a similar format as P.E.?

3. Why do we think of instruments as being gendered?

4. How do we decide who the "experts" are in our field?

5. Is it useful to measure music for school accountability?

6. Is piano proficiency really necessary for college music majors?

7. Is it more important to build knowledge or creativity in a music classroom?

8. Why is band the "public face" of a music program?

9. Is music education valuable for its own sake or only to supplement other things?

10. Does it matter if music teachers have pedagogical training?

No comments:

Post a Comment