Friday, March 30, 2012

It IS a small world after all....

So this moring, I open up Facebook and am bombarded with status updates and posts about a shooting that happened about a mile from my home. What struck me was that the updates came from high school friends and also from music professionals I have only met recently.  The victim of the shooting, Brian Tierney, someone I went to high school with, was not someone I knew.  Based on the posts, though, I gather that he is an immensely talented musician, and was living a pretty normal life with his wife and child.  Not into drugs or anything else that would make him an obvious target for violent crime. 

My heart goes out to his family, whose stress and suffering I can't even imagine right now. Even the idea of my husband being shot and critically injured so close to home....there are no words. (And at one point when we were really desperate for jobs, one of the options was 'cell phone disruptor' for the active Army...you know, the guys who keep IEDs from being detonated? Yeah, in Afghanistan....thank GOD that didn't work out).

But this really brought to the forefront of my mind how interconnected the music world really is.  Especially in communities of specialized musicians.  I feel really lucky and blessed to know as many people as I do who excel at this abstract performance art called music.  Please pray for Brian and his family, and hug your own a little more tightly tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment