Monday, April 25, 2011

An ode to our first house

Dear Battle Ground house:

We've had a lot of good memories. You were our first real home together. We thought it would last forever. But alas, there are some red flags that we ignored and forged the relationship anyway. And I'm not sad to say this relationship is over. We argued with the realtor about your location. We hated how far away everything was. So you made up for it with fantastic neighbors.

I will never forget Tyson cutting down the ivy off the fence and discovering that the fence was being HELD UP by the ivy. And we met our next door neighbor when the fence fell into his yard. When he saw it, he offered us beer. On the other side, we had master gardeners who gave us food every summer when they had too much for eating and canning. And the parents across the street whose son is exactly Sam's age who are about the nicest neighbors anyone could hope for...I'm gonna miss them a lot, too, but their house didn't treat them any better than you did us. And then there's Lloyd. Sam is going to be devastated I think. Whose driveway is he going to play in now? Every white pickup truck he sees on the road he yells, "THERE'S LLOYD!!!" Sad clown.

But you, little gray house, did nothing to help the situation. You forced our hand. You attracted a massive ant invasion 2 days before I gave birth. You grew mold on our clothes, our furniture, and leaked water through the roof on my BRAND NEW WASHING MACHINE!! You gave my firstborn eczema. I don't think I'll ever forgive you for that one.


And your popcorn ceilings. Really. Why did you ever think THAT was stylish?

I've grieved over you. I owned and buried my first dog and cat here. We started raising our first child here. And I'm done. I hate being 20 miles away from anything or anyone I want to be around. I hate being constantly sick from allergies. I can't believe how much money we blew on you. And nothing to show for it but a crappy credit score.

Believe me, I understand that it wasn't all your fault. Your previous relationship was no good either. You were abused and mistreated by the jerks who sold you to us. I can't fault you for that, I suppose, but you just weren't right for us. We knew it from the beginning and we should have let you go so the right people could have had you instead. People who could have fixed your problems. People who cared about living in this location. People who would have stayed with you for the long haul. And I'm sorry about that. I truly hope you do better next time. But I hope we do better, too.

Sincerely,
Tina, Tyson, and Sam (Cody and Oscar, RIP)

No comments:

Post a Comment